Daytona Beach Airport (DAB)
History, Facts and Overview
(Daytona Beach, Florida - FL, USA)
The aviation history around the Daytona Beach area dates back more than 100 years, when the sandy beaches were actually used as runways for brave pilots. Originally located at Bethune Point, the city's airport of today was relocated to its current site in 1930, next to the International Speedway Boulevard. Construction was extremely basic, with simple stone runways and even a signpost made from a surfboard.
By 1952, Daytona Beach Regional Airport was servicing around 6,000 planes each week and opened its very first terminal building, along with a number of large aircraft hangars. Further improvements were made in 1958, when an additional terminal opened, complete with a restaurant and shopping facilities. In 1992 and now owned by Volusia County, the airport was relaunched as the Daytona Beach International Airport (DAB), being renovated at a cost of over $45 million. A new international terminal was added at this stage, and the main runway extended to 3,200 meters / 10,500 feet.
The terminal at Daytona Beach Airport features ATMs in various locations, as well as Internet stations and complete Wi-Fi coverage. A small number of shopping and eating outlets are on hand, such as the MSE restaurant, with further eateries located along the adjacent International Speedway Boulevard.
An onsite conference facility can be hired for meetings and functions, such as banquets, exhibitions and other events. Also worth noting and located on the airport site, the Hampton Inn Daytona Beach Airport Hotel provides business and conference facilities, complementing those already on offer in the terminal itself.